BBQ Sandwich ideas
I spend an unhealthy amount of time worrying about what other people think. This is not a very cool thing to admit about myself. (Oh look, I’m worrying about what you think about the fact that I worry about what you think. How meta of me.) And when I was putting together this post, I thought, “Oh no! I accidentally scheduled two sandwiches in one week!”
Do you really care if I post two sandwich recipes in one week? Probably not. So what does it matter? I don’t know!
I’m not worried about how you’ll feel about this BBQ Tempeh Sandwich recipe, though. It just happens to be one of my favorite easy meals and I’m pretty sure you will love it too. Slice up some tempeh, marinate it in barbecue sauce, heat it up in a skillet. Done! You can serve it just like that or make it into sandwiches with a quick slaw. It’s kind of the same idea behind my Baked Barbecue Tofu, except with tempeh and no baking.
If you haven’t cooked with it before, I have a post all about how to use tempeh–it’s much easier to work with than you probably think and when you slice it thin, as you do for this recipe, it soaks up the sauce you add to it. Don’t be scared to use tempeh! It’s a delicious vegetarian protein source when you know how to use it.
Seriously easy (and seriously delicious!) vegetarian BBQ sandwiches made with tempeh.
- 8 oz. tempeh, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 c. barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 c. shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Spread 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce on the bottom of a small baking dish. Add tempeh and top with remaining barbecue sauce. Gently toss to coat. Let marinate for an hour, stirring after 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in cabbage and set aside.
- Spray a medium skillet with oil or cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add tempeh and sauce; cook until heated, about 5 minutes. Serve on rolls with slaw and additional barbecue sauce (if desired).