Best BBQ Recipe ever
Paul is a barbecue enthusiast. Currently grilling and smoking on a Komodo Kamado Ultimate 23.Profile
Baby back ribs with Bacon Bourbon BBQ Sauce
The Most Popular and Highest Rated BBQ Sauce Recipes
I've scoured the internet and BBQ cook books looking for the highest rated and most popular BBQ sauce recipes. Hundreds of hours have been invested in testing recipes and coming up with a list where each recipe offers a unique flavor. From spicy to sour, sweet to mustard, and Cola to Whiskey, these sauce recipes are the best of the best. Try anyone of these sauces and you will never buy bottled sauce again.
Killer Bacon Bourbon Whiskey BBQ Sauce
This is my absolute favorite BBQ sauce to make and serve over smoked baby back ribs. This 5 Star recipe will ensure all your ribs get eaten quickly! I originally found this recipe on Chow. It's extremely popular with many variations available. I've modified it a bit and in my opinion it's perfect!
- 4 - 6 Strips Thick diced bacon
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 2 medium garlic cloves pressed or chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Kosher salt (at the end)
- Freshly ground black pepper (at the end)
- Put the chopped up bacon in a saucepan and cook it until the fat has rendered and it looks cooked (7 - 10 minutes over medium heat).
- Remove the bacon and place it on a paper towel to drain the grease.
- Add the onion to the bacon fat and cook it over low heat for about 5 minutes or until the onion is cooked.
- Add the pressed garlic and cook for another minute. Be sure to not burn the garlic!
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, including the bacon that has been put aside. Increase the heat to medium-low and stir the sauce occasionally until it thickens.
This sauce will keep well if it's refrigerated for over 1 week and for 4 - 6 weeks if it's been stored in the freezer.
- This sauce can be made in a Vitamix. The bacon and onion still need to be fried first and the grease drained before adding to the blender. Let it run on high for five minutes. The sauce will be thick and sticky.
A bit about Sweet Asian BBQ Sauce: AKA Edmondson Secret Sauce
My family version of this recipe for bbq sauce has been around for several years, and we often call it Edmondson Secret Sauce. This barbecue recipe creates a sweet and spicy sauce that is Asian in style. The original version of this recipe rose in popularity during the 1960s as Asian style cuisine fused with Californian flavors.
The Asian flavor comes from the the soy sauce, the sweetness from the brown sugar and ketchup, and the spice is from the ginger. Optionally, a fruit preserve can be added for a fruit taste with more sugar. It's very easy to make bbq sauce, and as long as you have all the ingredients on hand, you can make it in about 10 minutes. For those wanting a Sweet BBQ sauce, this hits the mark.
- 1 white onion, medium to large
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry or fresh ginger, fresh ginger is best because it is spicier
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white wine or sherry, any white wine
- 1/4 cup apricot perserves, apricot, apple, cherry, or blackberry can be used
- 2 cloves garlic
Instructions for Sweet Asian Barbecue Sauce
- Peel and slice the onion in half and put in a blender.
- Add the soy sauce to the onion in the blender.
- If using fresh ginger, remove the skin with a peeler and slice approximately a one tablespoon chunk into the blender. Add more ginger for a heavier spice flavor.
- Add the ketchup, packed brown sugar, sherry or white wine, garlic, and the optional preserves to the blender.
- Blend the sauce on high until the onion and ginger are completely pureed. The sauce should thicken and be a medium brown color. Taste.
- Transfer the sauce from the blender to a saucepan.
- Over a low heat, cook the sauce for about five to ten minutes until the sauce simmers down and thickens.
- The sauce is ready to use. It can be stored in the refrigerator for three weeks or frozen up to six months, but it's best fresh!
Espresso Coffee BBQ Sauce: So Easy a Kid Can Make It!
While I really love my homemade sauce, there are several others that are delicious as well. One of my favorites is by Michael Chiarello from the Food Network. His sauce has a unique coffee flavor as one of the ingredients is a shot of espresso. I've made this recipe several times, and people really love the sauce and it's easy to make at home. This sauce is given very high marks online with an average rating of 4 - 5 stars.