BBQ Suggestions food
Memorial Day, a day originally intended for Americans to memorialize fallen soldiers in the wars after World War One, has also become synonymous with the official kick-off of summer. How one has anything to do with the other, I don’t know. What I do know is that this long weekend, almost synonymous with the backyard barbeque, is fast-approaching.
Moreover, when one thinks of barbeques, what generally comes to mind isn’t necessarily broccoli and meal replacements, right? But, the good news is that you can have a wonderful gathering with friends and family that can also be HEALTHY and with delicious food. It just takes a little extra planning and some creativity.
Below are some strategies, tips, and recipes that can help protect your weight loss if you’re in Phase 2 and to stay “in the box” if you’re in Phase 1 over the long holiday weekend.
Please feel free to add your own how-to’s and suggestions below. Happy BBQing!
- Go to the BBQ already FULL by having a shake or entrée right before you leave the house.
- Plan a higher PA day leading up to the event (either the day before or the morning of the BBQ).
- While at the BBQ, plan to snack on any and all veggies/fruits you see there and make a decision/challenge to have at least 3 full-cup servings of veggies and fruits while you’re there (assuming you’re on Healthy Solutions® or in Phase 2).
Fat-Free, Five Minute Slaw
(for Phase 1 Healthy Solutions or Phase 2)
Adapted from a recipe on lowfatveganchef.com
5 cups green and red cabbage, sliced (you could also use broccoli slaw)
1 cup each of yellow and red sliced grape tomatoes
⅓ cup white onion, diced
1 – 1 ½ large limes, juiced
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. of granulated Splenda® or sweetener
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp. of parsley or cilantro as a garnish
- Place cabbage or slaw mix into a bowl. Add tomatoes and onions and seasonings. Roughly squeeze the cabbage to wilt it and make the tomatoes release their juices. Add other ingredients.
- Taste test and add more lime or salt if desired.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to soften before serving.
Portobello BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Grill or sautée 2 portobello mushroom caps that have been rubbed with fresh chopped thyme, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, and garlic.
Open HMR Barbecue Chicken with Rice and Beans Entrée. Use mushrooms as the “bread” for the chicken in the entrée and have the rice and beans on the side. Enjoy!
(for Phase 1 Decision-Free®)
Blend an HMR Vanilla Shake with Crystal Light® Mojito Flavor and 6 ice cubes. Put in a tall festive glass with sprigs of mint.
Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
(for Phase 1 Healthy Solutions and Phase 2)
2-4 large yams or sweet potatoes scrubbed clean, skin on, cut into ½ inch fries
¼ tsp. of paprika
½ tsp. of garlic salt
Spray with Pam®
- Toss potatoes with spices and put onto a baking sheet and into a 400 degree oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Toss and check every 10 minutes to ensure potatoes are cooking evenly.
Berry Berry Healthy Dessert
*This recipe feeds 4-6 people (or you can make an individual serving using 1 packet of HMR 70 Plus Pudding)
Toss blackberries, blueberries and strawberries with a little fresh lemon juice and chopped mint in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix up ten HMR 70 Plus Vanilla Puddings and mix in fat free Cool Whip® topping. Spoon pudding into bowls and top with the berry mixture.