Delicious side Dishes for BBQ
Backyard BBQ Dishes Your Guests Will Love
Everyone loves an outdoor party full of good food and great company, but firing up the grill and loading it with meat can take longer than desired for hungry guests. Keep them snacking on great BBQ-inspired food while they wait for their hot dogs and burgers to come off the grill. Try the following recipes to fill empty stomachs and satisfy their cravings.Potato salad is a great side for a classic BBQ.
Warm Potato Salad
It wouldn't be a BBQ without a good potato salad to snack on. With this German potato salad recipe, you're able to prepare it ahead of time in your slow cooker. Use the Crock-Pot® Hook Up® Connectable Entertaining System 3-Piece Set to prepare, transport and serve your dish to everyone who attends!
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onions (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery (about 5 medium stalks)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lb small red potatoes (2 to 3 inch in diameter), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill.
Start by cooking bacon strips in a pan over medium heat, flipping each individually as it turns golden brown. Remove from pan and blot bacon dry with paper towels. Cover and store in the fridge for later. Place onions and celery in pan with the remaining oil from the bacon and cook them until they're slightly crispy, and add salt and pepper. Place vegetable mixture and potato slices in slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Once the time passes, uncover and stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes, then sprinkle bacon on top and serve.
Chili is a great addition to any BBQ, as it's packed with veggies and spices that complement the meat on the grill. Here's how to prepare it in your slow cooker so it's ready for the big day.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10.75-ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans with liquid
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until it's evenly brown. Then, drain grease and place in slow cooker. Add in the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours. Enjoy!