Best Outdoor Barbecue
In some grilling circles, the word 'electric' is a cardinal sin. I don't see why! Today, there are some fantastic outdoor electric BBQ grills that cook both meat and veggies to perfection. They work well, they're low maintenance, and they produce great tasting food. What more could a person ask for?
While they definitely produce a different flavour quality than gas or (particularly) charcoal alternatives, the best electric barbecue grills can produce juicy, caramelized, seared-to-perfection meals. What's more, they have a real health benefit upside, and they'll save you hassle and money. Do I have your attention yet?
I have written this piece to go over a few of my favourite outdoor electric barbecue grills available today. I will talk about their various features, their upsides and potential downsides, and I'll even order them by price so you can pick out one that meets your budget. I hope it will be useful to anyone who can't use gas or charcoal for whatever reason.
Electric Grill vs. Flame: Which Is Better?
It's hard to convert people who have been using charcoal or gas their whole lives. You get used to a particular flavour, and it just doesn't taste the same without it. I'm not saying that electric is better, but it does, in fact, have some advantages. Here are a few:
A Healthy Way To Cook
- Many electric grills (like the George Forman) are designed to reduce the amount of fat. Leaner is generally a healthier way to go.
- Flame produces soot and carcinogens, especially if food gets charred. Reducing the intake of such harmful compounds is beneficial.
Many apartment buildings and condos have restrictions on barbecuing with an open flame. That rules out any gas or charcoal grill. If you don't want to risk the wrath of your strata, you can usually use an electric barbecue grill to get the best of both worlds.
Simpler Operation, Safety, and Cleaning
- Electric heat is usually a much safer way to cook. There's no flame or combustion, there are no pressurized fuel tanks, and other than the delicious scent of your food cooking, there are no fumes.
- Most electric BBQs can be easily broken down for cleaning, and they're often non-stick. They're also mechanically simple, making them light in weight and convenient in a pinch.
George Foreman: A Fantastic, Cheap Outdoor Electric Barbecue
The George Foreman Grill: That's right, the 'lean, mean, grilling machine' has come to your patio as well. In terms of price and what you get, this is one of the top electric patio BBQs around. It is small, convenient, powerful, and versatile. You'll probably be surprised how much you'll end up using it.
- First off, it features a full waist height stand that allows you to cook in comfort in any outdoor setting. It's about 2-1/2 feet high when standing on its pedestal, and it can be removed to sit on a countertop or outdoor table if you prefer that.
- One of the nicest things about the George Foreman GGR50 is how quickly it heats up. From the moment you turn it on, it takes about 10 minutes to get to max heat. It has a variable temperature control knob, which lets you adjust from high heat all the way down to warm.
- The grill surface itself is about 240 square inches in area, and it's a non-stick surface that can be removed and washed. You can even put the grill in the dishwasher!
- As with all George Foreman grill products, the surface is sloped slightly, and the fat and grease rolls down to collect, making this a healthy griller.
- Despite the removal of fat and grease, the food usually tastes really great. Most meats and veggies are kept pretty moist, and the grill gets hot enough to sear the food pretty well if that's what you're after. Try an ahi tuna steak on this thing!
As for cons, it doesn't have the largest grill surface, and it can by no means compete with the full sized gas BBQs out there for cooking surface. It also doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and it won't 'wow' anyone with its looks. Still, I consider it one of the best electric outdoor grills around, with great reviews from lots of happy customers. It's perfect for a small patio or apartment.
Char-Broil: Among the Best Electric BBQ Grills for Outdoor Use
The Char-Broil: You may have seen this little grill before. Char-Broil has gotten a lot of mileage out of the popularity of their series of bistro style barbecues, and you can find this particular model in both gas and electric versions. Both are top notch.